I'm new to cloth nappies, can you help?
We are more than happy to advise on the right nappy solution for you. Please contact us here and we will get back to you. We also have a nappy advice section where you may find answers to questions you have.
Should I get a whole stash of 1 type of nappy?
This is completely up to you. Some people like to have just 1 or 2 types or brands of nappy that make up their whole stash, where as others like to have a variety.
We always advise that once you have decided which nappy you want to use, you try 1 or 2 of them them first see how you get on. If they suit your needs, then build up your stash from there.
I'm getting leaks with my nappies... can you help?
Leaks happen from time to time (even in disposables). Below are a few checks you can do to troubleshoot.
- Have you prewashed your nappies before use? Materials such as hamp can take several washes before they reach full absorbency.
- Is the nappy fitted correctly? Legs should fit snug, the waist you should be able to fit 2 fingers down. Make sure the edges of the nappy and excess fabric is nicely tucked away so that it doesn't cause wicking.
- Ensure clothing isn't too tight/getting into the nappy
- Have you got enough absorbency? Some nappies don't come with enough or the fabric isn't thirsty enough to suit every baby and last long enough before there is nothing left to absorb more wee. You may also just have a heavy wetting baby. Try adding a booster to see if that helps.
- Flooding; older babies start to wee less often but in larger volumes. Materials such as hemp and bamboo are slow to absorb, so you may find that you need to add a microfibre booster into your nappy which absorbs really quickly.
If you still have issues, contact us
here, and we will be more than happy to help
How many nappies do I need?
This is variable from baby to baby depending on age, how often they poo, how often you like to change, how often you want to wash, what type of nappy you use etc etc. Check out our handy infographic here for a quick reference.
Newborns we suggest around 30 nappies.
Older babies we suggest around 20 nappies.
Remember though - you only need 1 reusable nappy to get started. Don't pressure yourself into needing to get a full stash immediately.
There are so many material types, which is best?
Check out our helpful infographic here, for a quick reference.